8 exercises to practice mind control
When we reach a certain moment in titanax our personal development, we realize that in order to understand and understand what is around us, it is essential to have control and knowledge about what happens in our mind. If we do not control what happens ‘up there’, we could say that our ship goes without a rudder, sailing adrift at the mercy of whatever it may be.
Our mind is full of things
When we begin to meditate, we become aware that, within our mind, many thoughts, beliefs, images, ideas, etc. coexist. All these things take place at our whim our moments without us being able to do anything. When you least expect it, something appears in your mind that has nothing to do with what you are living in that moment and sneaks in with all freedom, causing you to lose concentration and, in the worst cases, dyeing the present moment of worry or anguish.
Fortunately, with meditation we are slowly correcting that predominance of autonomy of unwanted thoughts. Furthermore, outside of meditation, we are able to bring that awareness to situations in which it is necessary.
Usually, few people realize this mental dysfunction that governs our lives. We have become accustomed to not being present in our mind and we do not realize what is happening there. Fortunately, in addition to meditation, there are numerous techniques and tools that lead us to find a way to be able to control the material that enters our brain. All of them help us to decide where we want to put our attention by choosing, therefore, the thoughts that we allow to visit us.
Given the need to put some control in our mind, let’s see some simple exercises, that if we practice them with certain constancy, they will achieve great improvements in the domain of yourself:
1. Practice meditation: devote 15 or 20 minutes a day to inner silence or meditation. You do not need, in principle, any specific technique. It is only necessary that you be able to observe those thoughts that make an appearance in your mind.
Sit comfortably and after taking several deep breaths, wait for the next thought that comes to your mind. Wait, it will not be long before it arrives. When I arrived, become aware that it is there and observe it. For example, if a thought comes up about the meeting that you will have later in the work, say: Here it is! The work meeting! observe and let it go. Then wait to the next. When you arrive again, you observe it and let it go. Be aware, at the same time, of the spaces that exist between those thoughts.
In this way you will become for a while the witness of the game of your mind and you will have left the identification that before made you live unconsciously.
2. Put all your attention on one thing: this exercise is to fix all our attention, alone, on one of the thoughts that our mind contains. It is necessary to maintain attention for at least five minutes. It is normal that at the beginning the concentration time is very short but, if you keep the constancy, the time will increase progressively. We could say that exercising attention requires, just like in the muscles, a regular training to obtain visible results.
3. Do not think about anything: this exercise only recommend it when you have achieved a certain ability with the previous two. It is about blocking the entrance of thoughts in the mind. In the beginning you will only be able to do it for a few moments, but as we said before, little by little you will be able to keep more time, thus getting to be the owner and master of your own head.
If you manage to combine the three previous exercises with the little tricks that I propose next, I assure you that, in addition to improving control over your mind, you will provide a great help to your brain to wake up and activate certain areas that, until now, were asleep.
4. Practice mental games: if you usually practice sudoku-type mental games or crossword puzzles, you will improve and start up your activity and brain agility. Likewise, your ability to concentrate will improve. You do not need to practice more than 15 or 20 minutes.
5. Change hands: change the hand with which you perform certain activities. Wash your teeth with the opposite hand, or change the hand with which you carry the shopping bag. This will get new connections established in your brain.